Skip to main content

Anonymous Ask

Community members are welcome to submit anonymous questions to the Office of Student Conduct using this form. These questions are fully anonymous: emails are not collected, we don't track anything about these questions. Answers are posted on our social media via Instagram and Twitter and posted below.

If someone sends answers in a GroupMe, will the entire group chat be referred? What is no one else asked for the answers?

The short answer is that yes, everyone in the group chat could be referred for cheating. Each student would then have to go through our Academic Integrity Process to be determined responsible or not responsible.

We recommend exercising caution when using group chats. While they can be a great tool for staying up to date in class, they can also be used maliciously for academic dishonesty. Make sure the expectations and standards of all group chats you're in are clear: no one should send answers or unauthorized resources. Academic integrity is everyone's responsibility!

If a professor sends a referral, can a student still self-refer afterward?

The self-referral is a tool for students who recognize they made a mistake and want to take accountability. A self-referral should not be motivated by another community member's expression of knowledge or suspicion of academic dishonesty.

Is it a violation if we are using Chegg to get answers for assignments?

Generally, yes- looking answers up on Chegg or any other course assistance site is a violation of the Code of Academic Integrity. If you really need help, contact your professor or TA and ask about the types of resources that are permitted for the assignment.

Am I permitted to carry a pepper spray or knife for self-defense? One of my classes ends really late and I would like to know my options.

Students are permitted to carry pepper spray or tasers on campus for self defense purposes. Unlawful or unauthorized uses of weapons (using these for a reason other than necessary self defense) is illegal. For more information on "unlawful" purposes, we recommend you speak to UMD Police. Similarly, if you would like to carry a knife or a weapon other than pepper spray or a taser, contact the UMPD. Other types of self defense tools, such as knives, have specific regulations under state or federal law.

While certain personal items are permitted, the UMD campus also has a variety of campus safety resources. Throughout campus you can find Blue Lights with emergency buttons that put you in contact with the police. There are also a variety of other campus safety measures and resources that you can read about here.

How Can I Report a Large Gathering If I Don't Know Everyone Involved?

If you'd like to report a gathering, there are several options.

  • Contact College Park/Prince George's County Code Enforcement: The 24/7 hotline at 240-487-3588 can be used to report noise concerns as well as COVID-19 restriction violations.
  • Refer to OSC: Students can submit a referral with the address of the gathering at
  • Contact the Police: Residents can contact Prince George's County Police at the non-emergency number, 301-352-1200. Residents of Old Town can contact UMPD for non-emergencies at 301-405-3555


I petitioned to remove the “X” on my transcript and my disciplinary record is voided. If I am applying to a school that asks if I have a record of academic dishonesty or disciplinary conduct, how should I answer?

The tense of the question matters. You do not currently have a record at the University of Maryland. However, you have previously faced disciplinary action, and have since had your record voided. The Office of Student Conduct will provide documentation confirming you no longer have a record with our office. *Please note that "academic probation" is different than academic misconduct; probation typically refers to unsatisfactory academic performance, which is different than a violation of The Code of Academic Integrity*

Is there any procedure for reporting inappropriate conduct of professors, like bullying?

If your professor is treating you unfairly or inappropriately, know that there are multiple resources on-campus to help support you and address the issue. If the concern is related to general conduct of the professor within the course, we recommend speaking with the Chair of the department that the professor is a member of or the Chair of the department the course is offered through. Deans and Department Chairs typically have the authority to address these issues. If you are concerned a professor is targeting you via the conduct process, be sure to discuss this during your Preliminary Interview, Disciplinary Conference, or Hearing with the Office of Student Conduct. Further, if the conduct rises to the level of harassment or discrimination, students can report the behavior through the Office of Sexual Misconduct and Civil Rights.

Back to Top