The "XF" Removal Petition Process
As stated in the Code of Academic Integrity (Code), the normal penalty for a violation is an "XF" in the course. As stated in Part 65 of the Code, the student (or former student) may file a written petition to the Student Honor Council to have the grade of “XF” removed and permanently replaced with a grade of “F.” The decision to remove the grade of “XF” and replaced with an “F” shall rest in the discretion and judgment of a majority of a quorum of the Appellate Board, provided that:
- Wait until the appropriate time to petition. For example, if a student's "XF" is for twelve months, then the petition must be submitted one year after the date of the original sanction letter. Submitting a petition early may result in it being denied.
- Complete the AI Seminar. The AI Seminar is a non-credit, online, educational exercise that is self-paced. Instructions to complete the AI Seminar can be found here.
Complete the online "XF" petition form. The "XF" petition form can be found here. Students (and former students) should adhere to the word count requirement indicated in the form. All responses should show evidence of thoughtful consideration. It will be important to know:
- The course for which the "XF" was applied
- The academic term of the posting of the "XF" (e.g. Fall, 2019)
- The date of the resolution (i.e. Honor Review, Disciplinary conference date)
- The date of the completion of the AI Seminar
Current students who wish to petition the removal of the "XF" may use this form.
Former students who wish to petition the removal of the "XF" may use this form.
Any questions regarding the "XF" Removal Petition can be answered by calling the Office of Student Conduct or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.